Thursday, March 11, 2010

Orchard Road SM Megamall - Review and Feedback

Where to eat in the Philippines... or where NOT TO EAT.

I've been to Singapore several times already. Even went to Malaysia and other Asian countries. What I love most is the unique cuisine of Malaysia and Singapore. This is why when I saw Orchard Road in SM Megamall, I couldn't wait to try it out.

I first saw it several weeks back and it was still closed. Earlier, we went to SM Megamall and decided to give it a try. Ambiance was great! Looks can be deceiving though.

We ordered:
1 sweet and sour pork
1 black pepper pork
1 beef noodle soup
1 Kopi Tarik
1 iced lychee
1 Milo Dinosaur
and a pita with dip (forgot the name)

Our bill was around Php 750.00 pesos. With such a small serving, it's not that cheap, in my opinion.

It was already near 12:30 and without eating breakfast, we were very hungry.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9623/orchardroadsmmegamallfo.jpg
Sweet and Sour Pork with Kopi Tarik
The order arrive 5 minutes after. My order arrived first, the sweet and sour pork. Upon biting my first bite, it was utter disappointment! The pork was old! It was rubber-like with hard parts. The taste was also terrible. I can say that this was the worst sweet and sour pork I've tasted in my entire life! Yes, it was that bad.

Servings were small. Imagine, I wasn't able to finish my food despite of my hunger and the small serving size. Put in the factor that my dad and brother even tried a piece each of sweet and sour pork. They should rename it to, tasteless pork.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9623/orchardroadsmmegamallfo.jpg
Black Pepper Beef with Dinosaur Milo

I tried my brother's viand, the black pepper beef. It was the same, no taste at all. The only taste my tongue can sense is the pepper taste. Other than that, it was just like you were chewing a tasteless gum.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9623/orchardroadsmmegamallfo.jpg
Beef noodle soup with Iced Lychee

My dad ordered the beef noodle soup. The taste of the soup is OK. Just like the free soup given in some of the foodcourts around the metro.

Kopi Tarik? Just order hot water and you know what this tastes like.

I didn't mind tasting the Iced Lychee and Milo Dinosaur because my appetite already went away.

Orchard Road is located in... never mind, I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE. I felt rip offed. If they don't improve their food taste, that restaurant wouldn't last more than a year!

Don't tell me I didn't warn you.

17 comments:

  1. Really?
    I ate there several times last week while on business from Singapore, where I live. I thought that their food was authentic singaporean fare.
    This leads me to doubt your integrity as a critic as you take photos of their food after you've eaten it like a pig unlike you have done in your other blogs. who's paying you? `

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ate at orchard road kanina this afternoon and me and my office mates actually enjoyed the food. we ordered sweet and sour fish, chicken curry, hainanese chicken, and this sago melaka dessert, and everything was good and tasty naman so i think maybe this blog post is a bit exagg? we're definitely going back to orchard road for our work lunches... tapos may outlets pa for laptop so ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not claim that I am a critic nor did I say that I am a food expert. What im writing here in my blog is my own opinion. I don't need any kind of compensation nor payment to write about my thoughts.

    I wasn't planning to blog about it until I felt really unsatisfied with what we ate. This is why I took the photos only 'after' eating.

    Unless I plan blogging about it in the first place do I take photos of untouched food.

    thanks for the comment Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, Good for you guys then. :)

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I can claim is that, I love eating out and I know my food. I eat out an average of 8 times a week (or more) on different restaurants. I only go back to those restaurants I liked.

    This is my blog therefore, this is where I write my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it's not only me who hates to eat at Orchard Road.

    check out this thread:
    http://pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429010

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just noticed. Have you ever seen my other posts Steve?

    I have posted several photos of food shots that are half eaten. I am beginning to think that you are part or one of the owners. why not just take this as a criticism?

    leave me a comment if you guys have improved your dishes. I'll go try it out. I don't need free meals. I'll pay for my own. just leave me a message here and I'll visit Orchard road again to taste if it has already improved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. try nyo un bago kainan sa may araneta cubao qc sa likod ng shopwise araneta.Singapore Chicken Rice un name ng kainan.. Masarap na, mura pa!!! 90 peso lng un chicken rice! Para ka nsa singapore pag kumain ka dun kc lasang singapore food talaga! Sana nga dumami un branch nla d2 sa pinas pra mdali puntahan.. Tagong lugar kc un location nila.d madali makita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try SHIOK in Bonifacio Global City! It's really good. Their char kway teow is only P120 but serving's good for 2 already. The chicken rice is yummy too. They have a lot of Singaporean/ Malay dishes to choose from. Don't forget to try their Milo Dinosaur too! :) Yummy food with affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hindi masarap sa orchard road.. bad service pa.. its a singapolpol taste, not original singaporean.... i think its a management problem, not to those who served and to cook i guess......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eating in Orchard Road is awful. I will post a blog about this soon, but to give you an idea - the rice has TUTONG and it's like 1/4 cup of tutong. First time ever. Even a tapsihan won't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPER HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, this "restaurant".

    Ordered lemon chicken (excuse me, but where the hell was the lemon, the sauce is watery) and some pork dish which wasnt worth my money either.


    NEVER going back, and telling my friends the same.
    Soft opening or whatever -- they are hell not Singaporean.
    They are shameful to name their resto as such, because it gives SIngapore a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was disappointed with the food as well. It seems I am not alone. The place looks great, the location in the mall is great. The food options are exciting, but the food falls flat on its face.

    I wish for them to have an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts on the experience are located here:

    http://goingtotheextremes.blogspot.com/2010/06/orchard-road-megamall-looks-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was disappointed with the food that i eat, coz almost 1 hour na nga lumabas yung food hindi pa taste good.. and nakakawalang gana,, kasi one of the chef shouting his crew na super lakas, well if u r going to make rumble pls go to a place na kayo lang... hindi yung nang gugulo pa kayo sa kumakain....bad service start from bad attitude.........

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh God! My friends and I got plan to eat here tomorrow. But the comments here are so alarming. Where should we eat? ....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worst food experience ever, the food court serves much better fare for less than half the price. Never going back to Orchard Road Megamall.

    ReplyDelete